Project manager and editor
As well as being a children’s author, I have 30 years’ experience as a project manager and editor, successfully managing the production of educational and trade books and editing adult reference titles, young adult and children’s fiction for the international market, covering a wide range of subjects. I also edit academic reports, training materials (e.g. BTEC) and website content.
My clients have included ALCS, Arcturus Publishing, Bailey Publishing, Cambridge Publishing Management, Discovery Books, Eye Books, F&W Media International, Franklin Watts, the Georg-Eckert Institute (Germany), The Guild of Master Craftsman Publications, HarperCollins, Hodder Children’s Books, Institute for Development Studies, Ivy Press, Just Content, Kingfisher, Marshall Cavendish, Nutshell Media, The Quarto Group, Raintree, the Royal Literary Fund, Salariya Book Company, The Curved House, UniPress Books, the University of Sussex, Wayland and White-Thomson Publishing.
- Concept development: from initial idea to Advance Information Sheets for marketing
- Text: commissioning, development editing, copy editing, fact checking, proofreading, indexing, Americanisation, Anglicisation
- Consultancy: assessment of text to check suitability for the target readership
- Design: commissioning and working closely with designers, correcting layouts and proofs
- Picture research
- Commissioning and working with illustrators
- Writing thoroughly researched non-fiction materials in a clear, accessible way, with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to write at an appropriate language level for the target audience and in a lively, child-friendly style for young people
- From inception of project to finished product, including budgeting, scheduling and administration
- Working with overseas co-publishers, especially in the USA
- Familiarity with many Windows and Macintosh applications, especially Word, Excel, Powerpoint and InDesign
- Building and maintaining a WordPress website
- Blog commissioning, editing and posting
- Creating content and editing a university website
- I speak French, Spanish, German, Hebrew, Arabic and some Japanese and Mandarin. I can proofread Modern Foreign Language learning workbooks in French, Spanish and German.
- I am also a teacher – see my Teaching page
- Keen reader in several languages, gardener, walker, cyclist, cook, crafter and amateur musician
Please contact me for full details of my work experience.