As well as being a children’s author, I have over 25 years’ experience as a Project Manager and Editor, successfully managing the production of educational and trade books and editing adult reference titles and children’s fiction for the international market, covering a wide range of subjects. I also edit academic reports.
My clients have included Arcturus Publishing, Bailey Publishing, Cambridge Publishing Management, Discovery Books, David & Charles, Franklin Watts, the Georg-Eckert Institute (Germany), The Guild of Master Craftsman Publications, HarperCollins, Hodder Children’s Books, Institute for Development Studies, University of Sussex, Ivy Kids, Ivy Press, Kingfisher, Marshall Cavendish, Monkey Puzzle Media, Naughton Publishing, Nutshell Media, Quantum, Quid Publishing, Raintree, RotoVision, The Curved House and Wayland.
1. Editorial skills
• Text: commissioning, editing, proofreading, indexing, Americanization, Anglicisation
• Editing and proofreading Modern Foreign Language titles
• Design: commissioning and working closely with designers, correcting layouts and proofs
• Picture research, commissioning illustrations and maps
• Organizing photo shoots and audio recordings
• Writing thoroughly researched non-fiction materials in a clear, accessible way, with meticulous attention to detail
• Ability to write at an appropriate language level for the target audience and in a lively, child-friendly style for young people
3. Project management
• From inception of project to finished product, including budgeting, scheduling and all the administration
• Vast experience in working with overseas co-publishers, especially in the USA
4. Technical abilities
• Familiarity with many Windows and Macintosh applications, especially Word, Excel, Powerpoint and InDesign
• Building and maintaining a WordPress website
5. Additional skills
• I am also a teacher – see my Teaching page
• I speak French Spanish, German, Hebrew, Italian, Arabic and Japanese
• I am a keen reader, gardener, cook, knitter and amateur musician
Please contact me for full details of my work experience.